come and visit our little piece of paradise
GPS : 41° 4' 37.28'' S,175° 26' 21.01'' E
Due to the inclement weather (& covid) the gardens are closed at present
Welcome - The gardens are open to bus groups only
Spring, Summer and Autumn are all good times to visit Kahikatea Gardens. After the winter siesta, the spring bulbs appear followed closely by kowhai, camellia, rhododendron and azalea.
By November the garden is a riot of colour with the roses making an appearance. Summer means hydrangeas, dahlias and lilies become a feature and by early autumn it is time for the sages. All this against a backdrop of ancient native totara and titoki trees and the very special 900 year old kahikatea which the gardens are named after.
You'll also meet some wonderful animals along your way: our pet sheep Tongariro likes to greet groups on arrival – where else does this happen? Also the alpacas, donkeys, miniature horses, more pet sheep like to check out our visitors too!
Walnuts are also grown on the property - these can be sampled and purchased. To add further interest the old cowshed and stables are filled with memorabilia from a by-gone era.
At Kahikatea Gardens there is something for everyone! To make a booking go to Guided Tours
- The garden is open to bus groups only (by appointment). Discounts may be available for large groups.
- Please ensure that all members are double vaccinated against covid-19.
- Comfortable footwear should be worn. The walk is over gentle terrain but covers lawn, gravel and pasture. Depending on the time of day and weather conditions, the ground may be damp under foot.
- Children are welcome but must be under the close supervision of an adult.
- Eftpos facilities are not available at the gardens. The closest cash machines are at FreshChoice Supermarket [BNZ], Corner of West & Hastwell Streets and at 110 Main Street [ANZ], Greytown.
60 Wilkie Street
(corner of Humphries & Wilkie Street)
41° 4' 37.28'' S,175° 26' 21.01'' E
For a unique garden and animal experience,
visit Kahikatea Gardens
See you soon!